Sunday, March 30, 2008

As I read Western Images of Africa: Genealogy of an Ideological Formulation, I asked myself how was the western world suppose to get out of our stereotypical thinking of savage Africans living like Tarzan? I also began to get frustrated when i read page after pages of these films that have misrepresented Africa and wanted to know what was the point of saying how these films got it wrong without explaining the right way to represent a nation through film. When i began to read the next section in the book ,Banshing the Exotic: toward a Positive Image?, I felt relieved that the authur would try to answer that question. By reading this I have learned to better question a countries representation in film. I will use this knowledge to make sure that when I try to represent a country I will do my best not to fall into stereotypes and actually present the nation the way it actually is.

No comments: